Simple Home Improvement Projects that Increase Property Value
Quick & Easy Cash Offer
No Agent = No Fees
No Expensive Repairs
We’ll Take It As-Is
A lot of home improvement projects can boost the value of your property. However, not all of them are easy and cheap; some of them require expensive changes or remodels, like adding a deck, a pool, or an outdoor kitchen for example.
Not everyone has the time or budget to take on major home improvement projects. So when you are living on a tight budget, it’s important to spend your money on easy, doable projects that have a great return on investment. Here are some simple home improvement projects that increase property value:
1. First, declutter. Francine Jay, the author of The Joy of Less and Lightly said, “your home is a living space and not a storage space.” This couldn’t be more accurate. A lot of us buy stuff that we do not need, or keep broken appliances or furniture, or keep random items that “we might need in the future,” we end up using most areas of our home for storage. And if we run out of proper storage? Clutter.
If this sounds familiar, consider going through your belongings and categorize them: keep, donate, throw, and recycle. Have separate bins for each category and put the items in the appropriate bin as you declutter each area. If you have not used an item you’ve been keeping for over two years (yes we are talking about the pair of jeans in your closet you’ve not worn for the past 8 years), it’s probably time to let it go and donate it.
Additionally, before you buy anything and take it home, ask yourself if you have storage space for it. The items we take into our home need their own homes; They need to be put somewhere, otherwise, they will contribute to endless clutter. If you don’t have storage space for an item that you really need to purchase, make space by letting go of another item. One out, one in. Of course, this is not the only way to get rid of clutter. You might even want to develop your own system which works best for you and your family. But if you’re at a loss, this is a great way to start.
2. Cleanliness goes a long way. Dirt does not look good on any property. It can also significantly affect the value of your home. Luckily, this problem has a clear, definite solution: cleaning. Take your time and clean every corner of your home. If your property is big or if the job is too much for you, do not be afraid to ask close family members to lend a hand if possible. And don’t be ashamed to seek help from a cleaning company. You may have to shell out cash, but professional cleaning service is especially useful if the job is too overwhelming for you for any reason.
If you are already cleaning your home regularly, be sure to go through every nook and cranny to ensure they’re not overlooked. Whichever route you want to take, the goal is to make your home shine from the moment someone walks through the door.
3. Popcorn: good snack, bad ceiling. Popcorn ceilings are not for everyone. They’re lumpy and can catch dust and other debris pretty easily. If you have this kind of ceiling in your home, do not fret. This is a fairly easy project that you can handle yourself. However, before taking on this project, remember that older homes may contain asbestos which can be extremely dangerous to your health, so have your ceilings tested by a professional first. Once you get the go signal, head over to your local hardware store to purchase a cleaning solution to soften the popcorn ceiling, and then scrape away! With some elbow grease, you’ll be able to remove this undesirable look from your ceiling and add value to your home.
4. Plant a tree. This advice is specifically applicable if you are not selling your home now. However, this will definitely pay off in the long run. A strategically placed tree will not only add aesthetic value to your property, but it also comes with numerous environmental benefits. Aside from helping improve your curb appeal, a mature tree can help you lower down the cooling costs and can also improve the air quality around your home. Plus, trees can significantly reduce noise pollution by acting as noise barriers through a phenomenon called sound attenuation, which can be useful if you live in a noisy or busy neighborhood. And here’s a special bonus: mature trees can be a habitat for wildlife, too!
5. Think green. Aside from trees, other plants and shrubs around your property can add value to your home too. When planning your landscaping, however, consider plants that do not only add beauty to your property but are also practical and sustainable. Purchase plants that are native to your area or ones that do not require too much water and maintenance. This can help you make your surroundings green without breaking the bank. If you are unsure where to start, you can always hire a professional landscaping company to do the planning and installation for you.
6. Make your home energy-efficient. More and more people are becoming eco-conscious nowadays, so adapting to the wants and needs of the modern real estate market seems like a wise decision, especially if you are looking to sell your home soon.
The simplest thing you can do is to ensure your walls and attic are well-insulated. Next, consider switching to energy-efficient light bulbs. You may have to shell out a few bucks but you can also save money in the long run with this upgrade.
Now if your budget allows you, there are more ways to make your home energy-efficient. For instance, if your windows are leaky, consider repairing or replacing them. And if you are still using old appliances that are huge electricity hogs, consider having them replaced with newer, more efficient models. These may not be as simple as the others on this list but these upgrades will increase the value of your home and will also improve your quality of life.
We have just listed a few of the simplest ways to improve the value of your home. If you need to sell your home quickly, We Buy Any House Fast can help you. Talk to us about selling your home for cash fast at 800-976-SOLD today or price-check your house at https://www.webuyanyhousefast.com/ now!